Wednesday 21 December 2016

Christmas at ours 2016

I thought I would share some pics of our Christmas decorations this year as I always love seeing how people decorate their homes at this time of year. Last year I went a bit overboard with the festive decor as we were hosting Christmas at our little London house, but this year we are going to my parents' in Wales so I kept things a little simpler. Also, what with general end of year busyness, finishing work last week and general tiredness, I decided to take the pressure off and only do what I felt like. 



We bought a small tree again this year (despite R insisting he wanted an 8 footer) otherwise our sitting room feels a bit crowded. My decorations were quite soft and neutral - silver, gold and brass baubles, rusty vintage keys, recycled glass, the gold and white clay leaves and stars I made (see here) and delicate starry paper garlands from last year. 









I made a garland for the mantelpiece with the eucalyptus leaves I painted last year, and rediscovered my trusty brown card bunting which always makes me feel Christmassy.




I decorated this beautiful silver birch branch with twinkly lights and two ceramic ornaments that were a gift last Christmas. Got to love a branch in a bottle. I also bought some fragrant beeswax candles from ebay and have been loving their sweet subtle smell.


Elsewhere in the house I made some easy Christmassy additions - some fairy lights in our green demijohn and baskets of vintage baubles, sparkling in the candlelight.


Last weekend we celebrated "fake" Christmas for my doctor sister who has to work over Christmas. We cooked a full Christmas dinner, played board games and dozed in front of the fire. With no present opening there was a lot more time to talk and enjoy everything properly - it was much more relaxing than real Christmas day!





I kept the table very simple - white cotton napkins tied with brown twine and little eucalyptus sprigs. Table adorned with dried orange slices and more of my clay decorations. And little name labels on brown card.



We re-painted our fifties unit recently and moved it into the kitchen and I have enjoyed turning it into a little festive corner adorned with candles and a big bowl of clementines. And I hung one of our twiggy wreaths above it.




So that is how things are currently looking at ours. Have you got round to decorating your home this year? I would love to know how if so! 

Sending lots of festive love,

Mary x

No comments:

Post a Comment