Monday 12 October 2015

mussels on a Friday night


Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting increasingly unwilling to go out on a Friday night. In fact, I'm becoming increasingly wedded to my Friday nights in - get home, open wine, have bath, put on music, light candles, cook, talk, eat. 


Anyway, mussels were on offer in Waitrose and I made a spur of the moment decision that we should have them for our tea. This is a recipe that I have been meaning to make for ages, but the right combination of time, ingredients and inclination hadn't, until now, happened!


It's always a bit of a palaver getting them scrubbed and clean and removing the barnacles, pesky things!




R did most of the hard work - I swanned in for the creative element, haha. 



Bobby was bewildered - a hard fishy thing!


We followed this Jamie Oliver recipe. It was super easy and quick. The recipe doesn't call for white wine but we thought it would be a shame not to add some....we put a splash in just before putting the lid on the mussels.


The magic moment when you lift the lid and they are opened up! R laid the table as I added the linguine and gave everything a good mix. Then a handful of parsley and a glug of olive oil, and then spooned clattering into the dishes. 







It was completely delicious - savoury, fishy, fragrant and comforting. A soothing dinner on a Friday night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment