Saturday 30 January 2016

Bittersweet


I've been meaning to have a go at making marmalade for about two years now (!) but somehow never got round to it. With the promise of a free Sunday stretching out ahead, I seized the moment, tracked down some Seville oranges and cleaned out a stash of old jam jars. 



I used Nigel Slater's very simple but classic recipe which was very easy to follow. The Seville oranges themselves are funny little things - wrinkled and slightly mishapen on the outside, with very little flesh and lots of pith on the inside. They're so sour, they make your lips hurt! 



I kept my slithers of rind quite chunky as I like a bit of bite to my marmalade. I also added a little bit of grated ginger as Nigel suggests for some spice and warmth. Good for winter mornings!



With my marmalade all bottled up, I turned my attention to their little outfits.


I cut circles out of some vintage linen offcuts I had. I stuck to white as I love the contrast between the jewel-orange and clean linen white. Small things like this make me happy!





I did a bit of doodling and designed some labels for them. I hadn't done any drawing since I was in school, so it was heartening to discover that I hadn't forgotten everything. It felt so good to do some drawing again. 




I had my resident art/ life critic on site to provide useful feedback and suggestions. 







I used tiny elastic bands to secure their little hats and then tied them with twine to cover the elastic. 



Bobby was very interested in what I was doing. He's always keen to be included when there's twine involved. 




After a very gloomy start to the day, the sun came out and the kitties and I spent a lovely hour dressing and labelling the glossy little bottles. 





They looked very pretty indeed lined up altogether. 





I will keep some of these for breakfasts over the next year and for cakes and puddings heavy with orange and spices for the winter months. I will also give some away to friends and family, little bittersweet offerings tasting of sunshine. 



4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I made marmalade this time last year, but some amaretto accidentally snuck into mine! The labels are really pretty too, will you give the jars to people or eat them all yourself? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eleanor! I had lots of fun making it:) Amaretto sounds like an excellent addition, just what you need on long cold winter days!! I've given some away but I need to remember to keep at least a few for us! x

      Delete
  2. so beautiful...and inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeanette for your lovely comment:) x

      Delete